Mitigate data-related constraints
By the mid-1990s, Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation (GSPC) was
actively involved in E&P operations as an important player in the Indian
Exploration and Production industry. GSPC has more than 60 different onshore
and offshore licenses mostly in the exploration acreages stretching
across India and abroad. Technical data generated to date from E&P
operationsindependently or in partnership with other consortium
members had been managed in-house, in an inconsistent, ad hoc manner. It
was clearly time for more efficient processes and improved data security to
protect project investments, along with scalability to support the
company's exponential growth target.
GSPC needed an information management solution to mitigate the following
- lack of consolidation, governance, and standardization of E&P data
- lack of collaboration among asset and functional groups
- lack of well-defined data management workflows by domain
- lack of confidence in data usage because of data quality issues
- absence of proper interpretation results as part of the data management process
- absence of data security and entitlements
- use of nonstandard, archaic seismic data tapes.
Establish corporate E&P database
After careful evaluation of various vendor solutions, GSPC decided to
partner with Schlumberger to establish a corporate database for its E&P
operations using the complete ProSource information management platform. The
project was implemented in a phased approach, which included distinct steps.
Domain-specific workflows were designed
for Seismic, Log, Well, and Results data. Domain-specific policies and
procedures, as well as quality criteria were defined. A secure, Web-enabled,
GIS domain-specific access workflow was created.
All E&P data were consolidated in a secure, centralized
corporate database. This provided a single repository to search, while
eliminating data duplication and increasing data quality. By the projects
end, approximately 10 terabytes of information were consolidated and cataloged,
including 3,000 magnetic tapes of prestack and poststack seismic data; 15,000
well log traces; and 50 wells worth of G&G, drilling, reservoir, and
production data, along with related documents.
A data management organization was put in place to implement the workflows and promote data ownership. Approximately
20 end users were trained on specific data management workflows.
The new system was seamlessly integrated with GSPC operations and is now part of the daily workflow. The
system also enabled integration with software, such as GeoFrame and Petrel applications.
GSPC realized numerous advantages with the CDMS designed for its current
and future needs:
- data asset consolidation and protection—safe-guarded million- dollar investments in E&P data acquisition and scientific studies
- quality control and validation process—ensured highest quality of data in corporate database
- workflow cycle time reduction—provided faster and easier access to validated data and information
- efficiency improvements—delivered all required data to desktops on demand, saving 50% of time previously required to find information
- better and faster decisions with improved quality data
- E&P workflow optimization—consolidated disparate datastores into a master database, accessible through a common Web and GIS interface
- investment reduction in proprietary solutions—used proven, commercial technology and services that incorporate industry standards
- interpretation storage for future reference, along with relevant context details.
GSPC is positioned to meet the onslaught of E&P information
management demands for the next decade, thanks to the comprehensive, scalable
solution delivered by Schlumberger.
Schlumberger Information Solutions
Schlumberger Information Solutions (SIS) is an operating unit of Schlumberger that provides software, information management,
IT, and related services. SIS collaborates closely with oil and gas companies to solve today’s tough reservoir challenges with an open business approach and comprehensive solution deployment. Through our technologies and services, oil and gas companies empower their people to improve business performance by reducing exploration and development risk and optimizing operational efficiencies.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your local Schlumberger representative to learn more.