Challenge: Overcome a reduced annular flow
area between 9 5/8-in casing and 11 3/4-in casing, together with a narrow
pressure window, which significantly increased the risk of losses during cement
- Apply managed pressure cementing (MPC) to pump statically
underbalanced drilling fluid without jeopardizing well integrity.
- Use the annular BOP to seal against the 9 5/8-in casing and apply
surface backpressure when needed in static or dynamic conditions.
- Maintained well integrity at all times during cement placement and
WOC time with no losses or influx.
- Placed the cement at optimal pumping rates and maintained the
original cement slurry density to achieve maximum cement strength.
- Successfully provided zonal isolation of the 9 5/8-in production
casing, as confirmed by casing bond log and casing integrity and formation
- Responded quickly with a fit-for-purpose solution by integrating
cementing and managed pressure drilling (MPD) engineering.