No composite plugs are left in the well to mill, and no bridge plugs are left to retrieve. The operation has become so efficient that a single CT/fracturing crew often completes 2 wells in 1 day.
The same technique can be used to recomplete wells by fracture stimulating bypassed zones. The bypassed interval is perforated, straddled with the CT, and fracture stimulated down the CT. The bypassed zone is now effectively fracture stimulated without affecting the other zones of interest that were already completed.
Operational and economical advantages
The following operational and economical advantages were realized using CoilFRAC stimulation through CT
- reduction in operational logistics, set-up costs, travel time, and equipment
- reduction in the total cumulative flowback time per well by a factor of 2 or greater, resulting in payout in less time
- reduction in average total completion time (4 days versus 16 days)
- individual fracture stimulation of each zone, maximizing reservoir contact
- elimination of retrievable and millable plugs left in the wellbore